– 1 15oz can garbanzo beans
– 1 Lemon
– 1/3 c. tahini (or tahini sauce)
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 2 gloves garlic (chopped)
– 8 strips of bacon (2 chopped for garnish)
– 2-3 drops liquid smoke
– 1.5 tbsp bacon drippings
– 1/5 tsp salt
– 2 green onions (chopped)
– Olive oil
- Cook bacon until crispy. This can be done in the oven or in a skillet, as long as your remember to save the drippings! 8 pieces are recommended, but if you can get enough drippings from just 6 pieces that is all you will need. Worst case scenario: you have 2 extra pieces of bacon to snack on.
- Combine the juice of one lemon and tahini in your food processor or blender. Pulse just until combined. This will help ensure the end product is lighter and less dense than mixing everything at once.
- Add garlic, cumin, salt, bacon drippings, liquid smoke, bacon and the garbanzo beans and blend until combined. Most likely, the mixture will be too dry to mix thoroughly and may clog your blender/food processor. In small increments, add water and repeat blending until the desire consistency is reached. The texture should be smooth and creamy. Be very careful not to add too much water or the hummus will become too thin quickly.
- Place in a serving dish and top with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped scallions and chopped bacon. Enjoy!